Connect with us

Politics

Kano Governor Abba Yusuf Accuses Former Deputy Aminu Abdussalam of Plotting to Steal His Seat

Published

on

It’s the kind of story that makes you wonder what really goes on behind the walls of Government House — because Kano’s political space just got a whole lot messier.

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has dropped a political bombshell, accusing his former deputy, Comrade Aminu Abdussalam — widely known as Gwarzo — of orchestrating a quiet but deliberate scheme to unseat him and grab the governorship for himself.87

The governor made these startling claims on Thursday while hosting a group of supporters at the Government House in Kano. Speaking with striking candour, Yusuf didn’t mince words.

“Today, the deputy governor who was elected alongside us is no longer part of this government. No one wronged him. In fact, I have not even come across his resignation letter, so why should I be concerned about it?” the governor said, barely concealing his frustration.

He went further, connecting the dots between Gwarzo’s resignation and what he believes was a wider power grab. “Whatever pushed him to act in that manner was an effort to depose me and occupy the seat,” Yusuf said. “But God did not permit it.”

Gwarzo resigned as the deputy governor of Kano on March 27. Days before his resignation, the Kano State House of Assembly moved to impeach him over alleged gross misconduct, abuse of office, breach of public trust, and financial malfeasance. The impeachment proceedings were later dropped after his exit was formalised.

But what made the resignation even more curious was the governor’s claim that he never officially received any formal notice from his deputy. For a man who ran on the same ticket as Yusuf, it was a striking way to end what was supposed to be a united political partnership.

Beyond the personal rift, the story cuts deeper into the cracks within the influential Kwankwasiyya political movement. The governor pointed at internal dynamics within the Kwankwasiyya Movement, suggesting that political disagreements and exclusion may have influenced recent events involving the former deputy.

Yusuf appeared almost sympathetic at points, questioning why Gwarzo wasn’t granted the political opportunity he was reportedly chasing. “The deputy governor who left in hopes of getting that ticket — what was his offence? Why wasn’t he given the chance?” he asked.

Meanwhile, Gwarzo, who is an ally of Rabiu Kwankwaso, former governor of Kano, was received into the African Democratic Congress (ADC) last week — a move that signals a clean break from his former political home.

The governor also used the occasion to defend his own controversial political moves, particularly his departure from the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP). He insisted that his decision was in the best interest of Kano people and not an act of disloyalty as alleged by opponents.

He turned the betrayal narrative around sharply, asking: “Kwankwasiyya members were not even informed before the decision to leave the NNPP was taken… so were they betrayed or not?”

The governor noted that consultations are ongoing to appoint a new deputy governor, while reaffirming that his administration will continue to function in line with its constitutional mandate until the end of its term.

As for Gwarzo — Abdussalam has not publicly responded to the allegations. His silence leaves unanswered what many observers now view as a high-stakes power struggle that came closer to reshaping Kano’s political landscape than previously acknowledged.

Kano’s political drama is far from over. Stay with LagosLately for updates as this story develops.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Osun Election: Security Operatives Intensify Patrols Across Ile-Ife

Published

on

Security agencies have increased patrols and surveillance across Ile-Ife, Osun State, ahead of Saturday’s governorship election, as authorities move to prevent violence and protect residents and electoral materials.

The heightened security presence was noticeable across the ancient city on Friday, August 14, a day before voters are scheduled to cast their ballots. Personnel were deployed along major roads and other strategic locations as final preparations for the election continued.

Security officers were seen in areas including Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu, Mayfair, Lagere and Garage-Ilesa, among other locations.

Despite the increased deployment, normal activities continued in the city, with no major disruption reported as of Friday.

The Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police Force and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were among the security agencies deployed to monitor the election and maintain law and order.

The agencies are expected to remain on the ground before, during and after voting as part of efforts to safeguard voters, electoral officials and sensitive election materials.

The intensified patrols are also aimed at preventing electoral violence, malpractice and other criminal activities that could disrupt the exercise.

With the election scheduled for Saturday, August 15, security authorities are expected to maintain their presence across key locations throughout the voting period.

Residents have been urged to exercise their civic rights peacefully and avoid actions capable of threatening public safety or interfering with the electoral process.

The heightened security measures come as political activities reach their peak in Osun, with authorities seeking to ensure that voters can participate in the election without intimidation or disruption.

The security agencies have also been tasked with ensuring that electoral materials are protected and that the movement of voters and officials does not become a source of conflict.

As Osun heads to the polls, attention will remain on the ability of security agencies to maintain a peaceful environment throughout the election and the announcement of the results.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Tinubu Directs EFCC To Vacate Order Freezing Osun Government Account

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has reportedly directed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to withdraw its directive restricting access to Osun State Government’s account, following the controversy surrounding the account freeze.

The development comes after the EFCC placed a Post-No-Debit (PND) restriction on an Osun State Government statutory allocation account domiciled with First Bank, preventing withdrawals from the account as part of an ongoing investigation.

The action sparked a political uproar after Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, accused the anti-graft agency of attempting to cripple government operations ahead of the state’s governorship election. The governor argued that freezing a state government account lacked legal justification and could affect the payment of salaries and other government obligations.

Sources familiar with the matter said President Tinubu’s intervention was aimed at resolving the dispute and preventing further escalation between the federal agency and the Osun State Government. The EFCC had earlier maintained that the restriction was connected to an ongoing investigation and that several government officials had been invited in connection with the probe.

The account restriction had heightened political tension in Osun, coming shortly before the state’s governorship election, with opposition figures and observers questioning the timing of the action.

As of the time of this report, further details on the formal communication between the Presidency and the EFCC, including whether the restriction has been officially lifted, are still awaited.

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Amaechi Has No Electoral Value In Rivers State – Wike

Published

on

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has described former Rivers State Governor and ex-Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi as a politician with no meaningful electoral value in Rivers State or the South-South region.

Speaking during a media chat in Abuja, Wike argued that Amaechi has consistently failed to deliver significant votes in presidential elections despite serving as a two-term governor of Rivers State, Director-General of presidential campaigns, and a senior minister in the federal government. He questioned the basis for Amaechi’s political relevance ahead of the 2027 elections.

Wike further claimed that if Amaechi is being considered for a major national political role, such as a vice-presidential candidate, it could not be because of his electoral strength. According to the FCT minister, Amaechi’s record in previous elections does not demonstrate the capacity to influence voting outcomes in Rivers State.

The minister also insisted that Rivers State remains firmly under his political influence, maintaining that opposition parties would struggle to make electoral gains in the state. He argued that the support his political structure enjoys is based on governance and development projects delivered to the people.

Wike’s remarks add another chapter to the long-running political rivalry between the two former Rivers governors, as political alignments continue to take shape ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Trending