Politics
2027 Presidency: Campaigns Officially Begin as Tinubu, Atiku, Obi Prepare for Battle

.Political campaigning for Nigeria’s 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections officially begins today, August 19, 2026, opening a new phase in the race for the country’s presidency.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has lifted the restriction on public campaigns, allowing political parties and candidates to begin rallies, grassroots mobilisation and other activities aimed at winning voters.
Under the Electoral Act 2026, public campaigns are permitted to begin 250 days before election day and must end 24 hours before voting. INEC’s timetable puts the presidential and National Assembly elections on January 16, 2027.
Campaigning for the governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections is scheduled to begin on September 9, 2026, ahead of those elections on February 6, 2027.
The presidential contest is expected to be dominated by three major political figures: incumbent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), and former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC).
The emerging contest has similarities with the 2023 election, when Tinubu, Atiku and Obi were also among the leading candidates.
However, the political landscape has changed considerably since then, with opposition parties attempting to build a broader coalition capable of challenging the APC at the federal level.
One of the major developments ahead of the campaign season is the effort by opposition groups to establish a united front.
The G-100 Coalition, led by former APC national vice-chairman Salihu Lukman, has been working to bring opposition parties and political leaders together with the aim of producing a stronger challenge to the ruling party.
The coalition is expected to hold a unity summit in Abuja as part of efforts to reconcile competing interests and explore the possibility of a consensus presidential candidate.
However, reaching an agreement among major opposition figures could prove difficult because of their individual presidential ambitions and differing political interests.
While opposition parties continue their efforts to strengthen their alliance, the ruling APC says it is also preparing for the election.
The party’s Director of Media and Publicity, Bala Ibrahim, said the APC would work to retain the confidence of Nigerians and secure the renewal of President Tinubu’s mandate.
APC National Publicity Secretary Felix Morka also said the party was developing a comprehensive nationwide campaign programme after consultations with relevant stakeholders.
Morka noted that although August 19 is the earliest date parties are permitted to begin presidential campaigning, parties are not legally required to launch their campaigns on that exact day.
As candidates begin campaigning, major national issues are expected to dominate their messages to voters.
These include economic hardship, inflation, unemployment, insecurity, poverty and the impact of the Federal Government’s reforms.
The APC is expected to campaign on the achievements of the Tinubu administration and its Renewed Hope Agenda, while opposition candidates are likely to focus on areas where they believe the government has fallen short.
The ability of candidates to present credible solutions to these challenges could play a major role in determining how Nigerians vote.
With the campaign season officially underway, political activity is expected to intensify across the country in the coming months.
Parties will now seek to mobilise supporters, strengthen grassroots structures, sell their manifestos and convince undecided voters ahead of the January 2027 presidential poll.
The election is expected to be one of Nigeria’s most closely watched political contests, with the outcome set to determine the country’s direction for the next four years.
Politics
Osun Election: Security Operatives Intensify Patrols Across Ile-Ife

Security agencies have increased patrols and surveillance across Ile-Ife, Osun State, ahead of Saturday’s governorship election, as authorities move to prevent violence and protect residents and electoral materials.
The heightened security presence was noticeable across the ancient city on Friday, August 14, a day before voters are scheduled to cast their ballots. Personnel were deployed along major roads and other strategic locations as final preparations for the election continued.
Security officers were seen in areas including Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu, Mayfair, Lagere and Garage-Ilesa, among other locations.
Despite the increased deployment, normal activities continued in the city, with no major disruption reported as of Friday.
The Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police Force and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were among the security agencies deployed to monitor the election and maintain law and order.
The agencies are expected to remain on the ground before, during and after voting as part of efforts to safeguard voters, electoral officials and sensitive election materials.
The intensified patrols are also aimed at preventing electoral violence, malpractice and other criminal activities that could disrupt the exercise.
With the election scheduled for Saturday, August 15, security authorities are expected to maintain their presence across key locations throughout the voting period.
Residents have been urged to exercise their civic rights peacefully and avoid actions capable of threatening public safety or interfering with the electoral process.
The heightened security measures come as political activities reach their peak in Osun, with authorities seeking to ensure that voters can participate in the election without intimidation or disruption.
The security agencies have also been tasked with ensuring that electoral materials are protected and that the movement of voters and officials does not become a source of conflict.
As Osun heads to the polls, attention will remain on the ability of security agencies to maintain a peaceful environment throughout the election and the announcement of the results.
News
BREAKING: Tinubu Directs EFCC To Vacate Order Freezing Osun Government Account

President Bola Tinubu has reportedly directed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to withdraw its directive restricting access to Osun State Government’s account, following the controversy surrounding the account freeze.
The development comes after the EFCC placed a Post-No-Debit (PND) restriction on an Osun State Government statutory allocation account domiciled with First Bank, preventing withdrawals from the account as part of an ongoing investigation.
The action sparked a political uproar after Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, accused the anti-graft agency of attempting to cripple government operations ahead of the state’s governorship election. The governor argued that freezing a state government account lacked legal justification and could affect the payment of salaries and other government obligations.
Sources familiar with the matter said President Tinubu’s intervention was aimed at resolving the dispute and preventing further escalation between the federal agency and the Osun State Government. The EFCC had earlier maintained that the restriction was connected to an ongoing investigation and that several government officials had been invited in connection with the probe.
The account restriction had heightened political tension in Osun, coming shortly before the state’s governorship election, with opposition figures and observers questioning the timing of the action.
As of the time of this report, further details on the formal communication between the Presidency and the EFCC, including whether the restriction has been officially lifted, are still awaited.

Politics
2027: Amaechi Has No Electoral Value In Rivers State – Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has described former Rivers State Governor and ex-Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi as a politician with no meaningful electoral value in Rivers State or the South-South region.
Speaking during a media chat in Abuja, Wike argued that Amaechi has consistently failed to deliver significant votes in presidential elections despite serving as a two-term governor of Rivers State, Director-General of presidential campaigns, and a senior minister in the federal government. He questioned the basis for Amaechi’s political relevance ahead of the 2027 elections.
Wike further claimed that if Amaechi is being considered for a major national political role, such as a vice-presidential candidate, it could not be because of his electoral strength. According to the FCT minister, Amaechi’s record in previous elections does not demonstrate the capacity to influence voting outcomes in Rivers State.
The minister also insisted that Rivers State remains firmly under his political influence, maintaining that opposition parties would struggle to make electoral gains in the state. He argued that the support his political structure enjoys is based on governance and development projects delivered to the people.
Wike’s remarks add another chapter to the long-running political rivalry between the two former Rivers governors, as political alignments continue to take shape ahead of the 2027 general elections.
News3 years agoHardship: We Plan To Establish A National Commodity Board To Crash Food Prices – VP Shettima
- News8 years ago
Blog Reader; Samson Osagiede Celebrates Fiancè Benedicta Daniels’s Birthday With Sweet Words
- Home10 years ago
News Channel claims Donald Trump is an orphan from Pakistan,share alleged childhood photo
- Home10 years ago
Another $175m Found in Patience Jonathan’s wife’s firm’s Bank Account
- Home10 years ago
Oil Spillage: House of Reps Member Shares Photos of the Water her Constituents Drink .
- Home10 years ago
Zara Buhari & Ahmed Indimi’s Wedding Access Card
Sport8 years agoModric, Marta Wins 2018 FIFA Best Player Of The Year Awards ⚽️
- News8 years ago
The Best Video You’ve Seen Today?

