Connect with us

News

Eedris Abdulkareem Breaks Silence on Edo Visit After Tinubu Criticism and Venue Sealing Controversy

Published

on

Nigeria’s most consistent musical activist has found himself at the centre of a story that nobody quite saw coming. Within the space of two weeks, Eedris Abdulkareem went from ripping into President Tinubu on an Edo State stage to inspecting roads and schools alongside the Edo governor. And now the internet wants answers.

Let’s go back to where this all started.

On April 3, at an event centre in Edo State hosting a party tagged ‘Mega Rave: A Night with the Legends,’ Abdulkareem was among the artists who performed. During his set, he paused and launched into a criticism of Tinubu’s administration. He described Tinubu as the worst president Nigeria has ever had and said anyone supporting the President and the APC would suffer for making the wrong choice.

He didn’t stop there. “Commander in chief wey get all the security go Jos no fit enter town to go console those wey die,” he told the crowd, mocking Tinubu’s widely criticised visit to Plateau State following killings in Angwan Rukuba, Jos North. The crowd responded with loud affirmation.

Then things got interesting. The event centre was reportedly sealed on Tuesday, just four days after the party. A video shared on X showed the entrance barricaded with red tape, with an inscription reading “Sealed by EDSG 7/4/26.”

The Edo Commissioner for Information, Kassim Afegbua, denied any political motive, insisting the action was based on “security intelligence” and had nothing to do with criticism of the president. He later confirmed the facility had been reopened. Many Nigerians, however, found the timing difficult to ignore.

Then came the twist that truly broke the internet.

Eedris Abdulkareem visited Edo State and accompanied Governor Monday Okpebholo on the inspection of projects in Edo Central Senatorial District, lauding him for trying to make the state a reference point in the country.

His explanation for the visit was straightforward. “I came to see for myself if Edo is truly working, and I must say the governor has done a lot. I have gone round and seen several projects. In the next one or two years, the achievements will be even more evident,” he said.

“Most times when you are not on the ground, you won’t know exactly what is going on. If you are from Edo State and in diaspora, I would advise you to travel down and see what his excellency is doing here. At least I’m here to see, because you are doing a great job. I mean, I’ve seen it, I’ve gone around, and I’ve seen all the beautiful things that you are doing, and I want to appreciate you and thank you for that,” he said during the tour.

He also encouraged Edo indigenes, particularly those in the diaspora, to return home and witness the developments firsthand.

The governor, for his part, was clearly pleased — and politically opportunistic. Okpebholo told Eedris: “When I say we will deliver 2.5 million votes for President Tinubu, people doubt it. But today, you have seen for yourself how people are coming out because of what we are doing.”

As expected, the optics haven’t been lost on Nigerians. Fans of the music star questioned whether he had been compromised, saying they did not expect him to be seen with the governor. They added that they no longer trust activists, claiming some may have been influenced to remain silent.

Eedris himself has acknowledged the noise but is taking his time. In response to a message from a reporter, he said: “Thank you for reaching out, but I am pretty busy now for interviews. I will address the issue appropriately in due course.”

What makes this story particularly layered is who Eedris Abdulkareem is. His 2004 album Jaga Jaga criticised corruption and poor governance in Nigeria. The title track was banned from radio by former President Olusegun Obasanjo but gained significant public attention and remains one of Abdulkareem’s best-known songs. Two decades later, he is still the same man — still getting banned, still drawing crowds, still speaking where others won’t.

Whether his Edo project tour represents a genuine acknowledgement of good governance, a politically complex position, or something else entirely is a question only Eedris can answer. He says he will — in due course.

Nigeria is waiting.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

US Lifts 12-Year Security Restriction on Nigerian Vessels — Oyetola

Published

on

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has lifted a 12-year-old Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed on vessels arriving in the United States after calling at Nigerian ports, Minister of Marine and Blue Economy Adegboyega Oyetola has announced.

The development ends a regime of additional security requirements that had affected vessels operating between Nigeria and the United States since June 25, 2014.

Under the former arrangement, vessels heading to the US that had visited designated Nigerian ports within their previous five port calls were subjected to additional security measures and enhanced scrutiny before being allowed into American waters.

Oyetola said the decision followed significant improvements in Nigeria’s maritime security system and its implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.

The minister credited the achievement to collaboration between the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), government agencies, port and terminal operators, shipping companies and other stakeholders.

According to Oyetola, the US Coast Guard conducted four comprehensive assessments of Nigeria’s maritime security framework and port facilities between 2024 and 2026.

The assessments took place in March and April 2024, March 2025 and April 2026, with the findings showing improvements in Nigeria’s compliance with international maritime security standards.

The lifting of the restriction is expected to have implications beyond security compliance.

According to the minister, Nigerian ports could benefit from faster vessel turnaround times, improved shipping schedules and lower operational costs, as vessels will no longer face the additional requirements imposed specifically under the CoE.

The development could also make Nigerian ports more attractive to international shipping operators and potentially encourage greater shipping activity, trade and investment.

For more than a decade, the additional requirements had contributed to increased security and operational expenses for shipping companies, as well as extra inspections, documentation and delays.

Oyetola described the lifting of the restriction as an important milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector and an indication that the country’s efforts to improve port security are yielding results.

He also commended NIMASA Director-General Dayo Mobereola and his team for their contribution to the process.

The minister said the Federal Government would continue working to maintain the progress made and position Nigeria as a safe, secure and competitive destination for international shipping.

The removal of the US restriction is therefore being seen as a significant development for Nigeria’s maritime industry, particularly as the country seeks to improve port efficiency and strengthen its role in international trade.

Continue Reading

News

Dangote Refinery Secures $400m Underwriting Commitment Ahead of $5bn IPO

Published

on

Dangote Petroleum Refinery has secured a $400 million underwriting commitment as preparations continue for its planned initial public offering (IPO), which could become one of Africa’s largest-ever stock market listings.

The underwriting commitment was announced by IPO advisers Marob Strategies and Consulting DIFC Ltd and Lilium Capital Group. It forms part of a broader $1 billion underwriting programme supporting the proposed offering.

The programme comprises a $600 million completed and funded private placement alongside the new $400 million underwriting commitment.

The refinery, owned by Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote, has submitted an application to Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for a potential $5 billion IPO. However, the final size of the offering has not yet been determined and will depend on regulatory approval and market conditions.

According to the advisers, the $400 million underwriting facility will become effective when the IPO is launched, subject to prevailing market conditions and the necessary regulatory approvals.

The development represents another major step in the refinery’s plans to broaden its ownership base and raise additional capital for future growth.

The company has been preparing for a retail-focused Nigerian IPO, with management previously indicating that the offering is intended to give Nigerian investors an opportunity to participate directly in the refinery’s growth.

The proposed $5 billion offering has attracted considerable attention because of its potential scale.

Dangote Refinery is Africa’s largest refinery, with an initial refining capacity of about 650,000 barrels per day. The company has also set out plans to increase capacity to approximately 1.4 million barrels per day within three years, with the expansion expected to be financed partly through IPO proceeds and debt.

The refinery’s management has said preparations for the IPO are progressing, while investor interest has been strong during pre-marketing activities.

A $2.5 billion private placement in July reportedly valued the refinery at around $40 billion. The transaction was said to have been heavily oversubscribed, attracting interest from African and international institutional investors.

Dangote Refinery has also strengthened its position in international fuel markets amid disruptions linked to the conflict involving Iran.

The refinery has become a major supplier of aviation fuel to markets across Africa and Western Europe, with its management saying it became Europe’s largest supplier of jet fuel in June and July.

The company also benefits from its access to Nigeria’s crude oil resources, strong domestic fuel demand and its integrated refining operations.

Unlike plans for an immediate foreign listing, the company currently intends to focus its IPO on the Nigerian market.

Dangote Refinery’s CEO, David Bird, said the company wants the offering to encourage broad participation by Nigerians and create an opportunity for citizens to share in the refinery’s future growth.

A potential foreign listing could be considered later, after the company establishes a longer track record of production and financial performance.

With the new $400 million underwriting commitment and preparations for a potential $5 billion offering continuing, the Dangote Refinery IPO is shaping up to be a major development for Nigeria’s capital market and the country’s energy sector.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Arrest Dogo Gide’s Alleged Ally, 60 Suspected Terrorist Collaborators

Published

on

Nigerian security forces have arrested a suspected terrorist operative allegedly connected to notorious terror figure Dogo Gide, alongside 60 other suspected collaborators in separate operations across the country.

The arrests were recorded between August 12 and 13, 2026, according to a military situation report released in Abuja on Thursday.

In Kaduna State, troops of the 4 Demonstration Battalion reportedly intercepted a suspected ISWAP operative at the Kadage Checkpoint. The suspect was allegedly transporting seven pairs of sewn foreign camouflage uniforms believed to be destined for a terrorist camp.

Military authorities said preliminary questioning indicated that the suspect was a close associate of Dogo Gide and had allegedly been providing logistical assistance to his network.

Items recovered during the arrest included 23 yards of foreign camouflage material, two mobile phones, three ATM cards and an identity card, among other materials.

In Adamawa State, troops from the 226 Battalion, working alongside local hunters, conducted a raid on a motor park in the Gombi area following intelligence reports concerning suspected terrorist collaborators.

The military said some of the suspects were allegedly operating under the cover of menial workers and hawkers. The operation resulted in the arrest of 60 people, who have been detained while investigations continue.

Authorities are expected to establish the identities of those arrested and determine whether they have links to terrorist activities.

The military also reported a significant recovery in Zamfara State, where troops of the 1 Brigade found an RPG bomb during a fighting patrol around Tunga-Jambako in Maradun Local Government Area.

The recovery followed an earlier terrorist ambush in the area. Troops subsequently carried out searches and expanded their presence to prevent further attacks and restrict the movement of suspected terrorists.

In Benue State, troops operating under Operation Whirl Stroke arrested five suspected terrorists during offensive operations around suspected terrorist enclaves in Chito, Jootar and Ikyior, all in Ukum Local Government Area.

The military said the troops destroyed the identified enclaves and recovered two motorcycles and two locally fabricated firearms, among other items.

The report also disclosed that troops in Borno State intercepted five women and seven children believed to be family members of terrorists after they reportedly escaped from the Gazuwa Camp.

Separately, six male children were intercepted at Ajiri after reportedly fleeing Murofari Village, where violent clashes had occurred between rival terrorist groups.

The military said the operations demonstrate its continued reliance on intelligence-led actions to disrupt terrorist logistics, dismantle support networks and restrict the freedom of movement of armed groups across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending