Connect with us

Foreign

Notorious Nigerian thief, Gloria Makanjuola, jailed in UK .

Published

on

Nigerian woman in the United Kingdom, Gloria Makanjuola, who committed a series of robberies and theft on buses in Hackney, even targeting an 87-year-old woman, has been jailed.
Makanjuola, 28, of no fixed address, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court to two years and eight months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to eight counts of robbery, four counts of theft and four counts of fraud at an earlier hearing at Thames Magistrates’ Court. .
.

Makanjuola committed the offences between September 2018 and October 2018 across Hackney. Her victims were aged between 18 and 87 years and all the offences occurred on buses in Hackney. One victim, an 87-year-old man, was targeted by Makanjuola as he travelled on a route around Wick Road. .
.

She sat next to the victim and tried to put her hands in his pocket, he told her to stop but she managed to grab around £80 in cash. On another occasion, an 18-year-old woman was on board a route 277 bus in the area of Mare Street, E5 when Makanjuola started talking to her. During the conversation, she kept touching the victim and was crying. .
.

The victim told her to leave her alone, Makanjuola then left the bus by pressing the emergency exit button. When the victim got up to leave the bus, she noticed that her purse and oyster card had been stolen. Detective Sergeant Coleman, the senior investigating officer from the Roads and Transport Policing Command, said; .
. “Gloria Makanjuola was a prolific offender in the Hackney area. She targeted vulnerable passengers using the bus network system, committing robbery or theft offences. If bank cards were stolen, she used the opportunity to use the cards to make contactless payments at local stores. .
. “Working in partnership with the Safer Transport Teams and Transport for London, Makanjuola was identified and arrested for various robbery and theft related offences. I would like to thank the victims in this investigation who had the courage to report these matters and assist in the police investigation. Without their support, this outcome would not have been possible.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Iran-US Diplomacy: Pezeshkian Insists Tehran Has Not Changed Position

Published

on

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has maintained that Tehran’s fundamental position toward the United States remains unchanged despite recent diplomatic contacts between the two countries.

Speaking at a news conference on Saturday, Pezeshkian described the United States as a colonialist and criminal power, while insisting that Iran’s national principles and political identity had not been compromised by the recent engagement with Washington.

The Iranian president argued that the diplomatic process should not be interpreted as a change in Tehran’s long-standing stance toward the US. Rather, he said, the negotiations demonstrated that Washington had been compelled to engage with Iran through dialogue.

Pezeshkian also defended the memorandum recently concluded between Iran and the United States, rejecting criticism that Tehran had surrendered important interests in exchange for diplomatic progress.

According to the president, the agreement contains no provision requiring Iran to abandon its national interests or core positions. He maintained that Tehran remains firmly committed to the document despite the criticism it has attracted at home.

The president further accused Washington of failing to fully honour the understanding, particularly over arrangements concerning shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. He said the US had pursued alternative routes instead of following the procedures that Iran and Oman were expected to jointly establish.

Pezeshkian said any disagreements over the implementation of the memorandum should be handled through the mechanisms established under the agreement. He expressed hope that the diplomatic process would continue while preserving Iran’s dignity and national interests.

The Iranian leader also defended members of his negotiating team against domestic criticism, describing them as committed professionals who had worked hard to advance Iran’s interests during the discussions with the United States.

His comments come amid continued efforts to resolve disagreements between Tehran and Washington, particularly those surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically important waterway for international energy shipments. Recent negotiations have involved Iran, the United States and regional intermediaries, including Oman.

While diplomatic engagement has increased, Pezeshkian’s remarks underline the continued political differences between the two countries. Tehran appears willing to pursue negotiations while maintaining that such engagement does not amount to abandoning its broader foreign-policy principles.

Continue Reading

Foreign

UNESCO Names Beijing World Capital of Architecture for 2029

Published

on

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has officially designated Beijing as the World Capital of Architecture 2029 under its joint programme with the International Union of Architects (UIA). The honour recognises the city’s unique ability to preserve its rich architectural heritage while embracing innovation and sustainable urban development.

UNESCO said Beijing was selected because of its successful integration of historic landmarks, modern urban renewal projects and vibrant architectural culture. According to the organisation, the Chinese capital demonstrates how heritage conservation, innovation and community-centred planning can work together to create resilient and liveable cities.

The World Capital of Architecture programme was launched by UNESCO and the UIA to highlight the role of architecture, urban planning and cultural heritage in achieving sustainable urban development. The title is awarded every three years to the city hosting the UIA World Congress of Architects, which Beijing will stage in 2029.

UNESCO Director-General Khaled El-Enany approved the designation following a recommendation from the programme’s joint committee. Beijing now joins previous title holders Rio de Janeiro (2020), Copenhagen (2023) and Barcelona (2026).

The recognition is expected to provide Beijing with a global platform to showcase its architectural achievements and promote dialogue on sustainable city planning, cultural preservation and future urban design ahead of the 2029 congress.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Iran, Oman Agree Shipping Route Through Strait of Hormuz, Tehran Confirms

Published

on

Iran has announced that it has reached an agreement with Oman on the geographic route for commercial vessels transiting the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, marking a significant step toward restoring confidence in one of the world’s busiest energy shipping lanes.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said negotiations between Tehran and Muscat had been constructive and that both countries had agreed on the coordinates of the proposed shipping corridor. He added that a joint announcement detailing the arrangement would be issued after final technical reviews, provided there is no external interference.

The proposed framework would see vessels entering the Persian Gulf navigate through an Iran-managed route, while outbound traffic would follow a corridor coordinated with Oman. Although the understanding represents major diplomatic progress, officials stressed that discussions on implementation and security arrangements are still ongoing.

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most critical maritime chokepoints, carrying a significant share of global oil and liquefied natural gas exports. Disruptions in the waterway in recent months have heightened concerns over energy supplies and global trade, making the latest agreement an important development for regional stability.

Despite the announcement, officials cautioned that the agreement has not yet been fully finalised and will require approval of remaining details before taking effect. Observers say the arrangement could also create momentum for broader diplomatic engagement between Iran and the United States over regional security and other outstanding issues.

Continue Reading

Trending